VALLEJO, CALIF., AUGUST 15, 2014—FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. The U.S. Forest Service today announced that in anticipation of releasing a Notice of Intent (NOI) at the end of this month, it is scheduling public meetings for the following dates and locations:
- 6:00-8:00pm – Monday, September 15, Sierra National Forest, Holiday Inn, 5090 East Clinton Way, Fresno, CA
- 6:00-8:00pm – Tuesday, September 16, Sequoia National Forest, Supervisor’s Office, 1839 South Newcomb Street, Porterville, CA
- 6:00-8:00pm – Thursday, September 18, Inyo National Forest, Tri-County Fairgrounds, Sierra Street & Fair Drive, Bishop, CA
The NOI will inform the public of the Forest Service’s intent to prepare and develop an environmental impact statement (EIS) that, when completed, will revise forest plans for the Inyo, Sequoia and Sierra National Forests. The NOI will also have information on the purpose and need for this action along with the agency’s proposed action. The final EIS will result in three separate Records of Decision and three separate forest plans. Forest Supervisors will remain the “responsible official” for making decisions on their specific forest plans.
The Sierra, Sequoia and Inyo are three of eight national forests that were selected as “early adopters,” meaning they will be the first forests to revise their land management plans using the new National Forest System Planning Rule, which was completed in 2012. The planning rule provides the framework for Forest Service land management plans across the nation.
Next month’s public meetings are part of the “scoping period” which gives the public a chance to tell the Forest Service what issues and concerns they think should be addressed in the EIS before the Forest Service begins drafting the document, and to provide written public comment regarding the NOI’s purpose and need, and its proposed action.
For more information regarding forest plan revisions, visit the Pacific Southwest Region’s planning website at: www.fs.usda.gov/main/r5/landmanagement/planning.
For forest-specific information, please contact that forest directly:
- Inyo NF: Deb Schweizer at 760-873-2427 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sequoia NF: Alicia Embrey at 559-784-1500 or email@example.com
- Sierra NF: Dirk Charley at 559-297-0706 x4805 or firstname.lastname@example.org
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if special assistance to participate in this meeting is needed, please contact the appropriate National Forest. Notification at least 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the Forest Service to make reasonable arrangements.