In the West, National Fire Plan Funds to mitigate risk from wildland fire within the Wildland Urban Interface are available and awarded through a competitive process with emphasis on hazard fuel reduction, information and education, assessment and planning, and monitoring through community and landowner action. Funding is delivered through and managed by state forestry organizations. This portion of the National Fire Plan was developed to assist interface communities manage the unique hazards they find around them. In addition to the National Fire Plan, the National Wildland Fire Management Strategy brings forward the goals of Restoring Resilient Landscapes, Fire Adapted Communities, and Response to Wildland Fires; the Western Forestry Leadership Coalition strategies of Conserve, Protect, and Enhance are incorporated into individual states Forest Action Plans.
Grant Criteria: General
- The Project must be for a qualifying activity – if it is not the application will be considered ineligible.
- Meets the 50/50 match requirement2– if not the application will be considered ineligible.
- Each grant request is limited to a maximum of $300,000.
- No state will receive more than 15% of the funds available in the west.
- Not less than 70% of the funding available will be allocated to hazardous fuel reduction projects.
- The application must be submitted by the state forestry organization.
- The grant request must be submitted on a current 2014 WUI Competitive Grant Application template. Any alterations to the template by an applicant will nullify the application.
July 29, 2013- Applications are due to Units and Contract County Contacts.
Fire Safe Councils, local fire agencies, local government applications are due to your local CAL FIRE Unit or Contract County to review, prioritize and comment.
August 5, 2013-Applications due to Region
CAL FIRE Unit and Contract County contacts are to submit all applications in electronic format to the Region Pre-Fire Coordinator.
August 6, 2013 -Regions submit applications to Sacramento Pre-Fire Coordinator.
Click Here: 2014 Wui Instructions
Click Here: 2014 Wui Application
Click Here: 2014 WUI Grant Criteria and Instructions